Medical-surgical nurses focus every day on caring compassionately for patients and families. The Academy of Medical-Surgical Nurses (AMSN) has designated a special week, November 1-7, to shift that focus to the nurses themselves.
How Medical-Surgical Nurses Make a Difference
- Build the profession of nursing and the medical-surgical nursing specialty
- Mentor and nurture each other
- Advocate for patients and families at the local and national levels
- Serve their communities through care and education
- Promote medical-surgical nursing certification, resulting in better and safer health care
- Improve patient care through evidence-based practice
- Speak, write, and conduct research to inspire and educate others
In the tabs below, we have great ideas to get you ready to celebrate Medical-Surgical Nurses Week. Have fun!
Ideas for Celebrating
Below are ideas and suggestions for celebrating, along with some tools from AMSN to make your event a success:
- Hold a celebration to honor medical-surgical nurses in your facility! This may include meals for your nurses, signs on the unit celebrating med-surg nursing, or small gifts to recognize the contribution your nurses make every day.
- Submit an article about medical-surgical nursing to your facility newsletter before Medical-Surgical Nurses Week or contact your local newspaper!
- Download a sample newsletter article/press release.
- Host a conference that offers continuing education.
- Invite local or state legislators to tour your facility during the week so they better understand the role of medical-surgical nurses.
- Request a proclamation from your mayor or governor declaring November 1-7 as Medical-Surgical Nurses Week.
How You Celebrated
Please feel free to submit your own story!. This topic is open to all med-surg nurses worldwide.